- Monday -Saturday 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
What is IV Therapy (Intravenous Therapy) in Aesthetic medicine?
IV therapy delivers vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and amino acids directly into the bloodstream targeting areas of the body that need nutrient support the most and delivering doses larger than you would get orally.
Our IV therapy serves different purposes with different benefits depending on the individual need.
Immune boosting IV therapy
This is a potent combination of high doses of vitamin C, B, amino acids, minerals, glutathione and other anti-oxidants. It is used as a supplemental treatment for:
- Fatigue and stress
- Chronic pain and disability
- Pre and post-operative support
- Maintenance of general health
In what situations do we use IV therapy?
Our anti-oxidant infusion is made up of substances like glutathione, Vitamin C, alpha lipoic acid and many other anti-oxidants.
Glutathione is the mother of all anti-oxidants. It is found in many fruits, vegetables and meats. Glutathione is involved in many body processes including tissue building and repair, making substances and proteins needed by the body, and used to boost the immune system.
It has been used both orally and intravenously in a myriad of conditions as either part of treatment or to help alleviate symptoms. It has been used in:
- Treating cataracts and glaucoma
- Preventing and slowing down aging
- Treating or preventing alcoholism and its effects, asthma, cancer, heart disease (hypercholesterolemia & atherosclerosis), hepatitis, liver disease, diseases that weaken the immune system like HIV & chronic fatigue syndrome, memory loss, Alzheimer’s disease, osteoarthritis and Parkinson’s disease.
- Preventing or lowering the side effects of cancer treatment
- Treatment for male infertility
- Patients undergoing hemodialysis treatment
- Adjunctive treatment of diabetes
Glutathione is considered to be generally safe as there is no present documented information concerning side effects associated with glutathione use.
From experience with our patients however, there have been very few complaints of abdominal pain in those receiving twice-weekly glutathione. As with any Intravenous medication also, it should be given with extreme caution by a medical personnel to minimize the possible risks below and treat quickly if they occur:
- Allergic reactions
- Introduction of harmful microorganism which can result in serious infection
- Injection of air leading to air embolism
- Transmission of bloodborne diseases like hepatitis B and HIV
- Using contaminated infusions
The Effects of glutathione and other anti-oxidants are slower in alcohol and cigarette users and in people have led unhealthy lifestyles. Simply because the anti-oxidants have more work to do and more oxidants to mop up before their effects start to be felt.
We avoid use in pregnancy and breastfeeding to be on the safer side.
Skin lightening IV therapy
Glutathione was 1st used in people with liver disease and HIV for its potent anti-oxidant properties. These people were noticed to develop lighter, clearer skin after prolonged use. Glutathione is now known to make skin lighter by inhibiting the production of melanin and converting the natural melanin to pheomelanin which is less pigmented. This has led to glutathione being used widely presently for skin lightening purposes.
At Skin101, we are advocates for healthy skincare, healthy living and health safety. There has been a tremendous rise in the use of all types and doses of glutathione in the craze to obtain lighter skin. This trend is very disturbing. As physicians who have sworn an oath to first do no harm, we are bound by this oath to do ONLY what is right for the patient. We give glutathione in an effective dose and in combination with other anti-oxidants, producing great effects without overdosing. Everything done in excess will have repercussions, and we will rather err on the side of caution by giving our patients gradual results which are still fantastic results, without harming them. Our aim is to help our patients achieve clear, flawless and HEALTHY skin without looking like ghosts.
We administer IV glutathione for a number of cosmetic reasons:
- As part of an anti-acne treatment regimen both for active acne and the spots and scarring left behind by healed acne
- As part of a skin repair regimen in bleached skins, to help rejuvenate the skin and even out hyperpigmented areas still amenable to treatment.
- To help boost collagen production thereby combating wrinkles and fine lines
- To help protect the skin from future damage from the sun and free radicals, thereby maintaining healthy, glowing skin
- To retain the effects of glutathione, some maintenance treatment and meticulous sun protection is necessary.
All patients undergoing Intravenous therapies of any kind are encouraged to drink a lot of water.