Nowadays, IV Glutathione therapy is all the rave, especially in aesthetic medicine. These intravenous glutathione shots can be gotten in almost every aesthetic clinic that offers IV therapy services. What is glutathione and what does it really do in the body? let’s find out.
What Is Glutathione?
Glutathione (GSH) is a substance (an antioxidant) produced naturally by the liver. It is composed of three amino acids – cysteine, glycine, and glutamate. Glutathione can be found in virtually every cell of the human body with the highest concentration in the liver, making it critical in the body’s detoxification process. It is also found in fruits, vegetables and meats.
It is involved in many processes in the body including tissue building and repair, making chemicals and proteins needed in the body, and also an essential component of the body’s natural defence system (immune system).
Glutathione is also known as:
What Is IV Glutathione Therapy?
First of all, IV therapy is a method of delivering antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and amino acids directly into the bloodstream. This method delivers larger doses of these antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and amino acids than you would get orally.
IV glutathione therapy is simply a method of delivering glutathione directly into the bloodstream to achieve different purposes.
Medical Indications Of IV Glutathione Therapy
Iv glutathione is used as a supplemental treatment for:
- Diseases that weaken the immune system
- Preventing or lowering the side effects of cancer treatment.
- Adjunctive treatment of diabetes
- Male infertility
- Cataracts and Glaucoma
- Maintenance of general health (immune boosting)
- Pre- and post-operative support
- Chronic pain and disability
- Fatigue and Stress
Cosmetic Indications Of IV Glutathione Therapy
- Part of anti-aging treatment regimen
- Part of skin repair regimen after long-term use of bleaching skincare products
- Part of anti-acne treatment regimen
- Skin rejuvenation, healthy glowing skin
- Skin lightening (at very high doses)
Glutathione can also be given orally, topically or as an inhalant. However, oral ingestion of glutathione may not be as effective as intravenous delivery for some conditions.
Side Effects Of IV Glutathione Therapy
Glutathione is considered safe generally, however, the following have been documented as possible side effects:
- Allergic reactions
- Temporary abdominal discomfort (bloating, pain, etc)
- Introduction of harmful microorganisms or use of contaminated infusions leading to serious infections (when done by non-medical personnel)
- Kidney stones, Goitre (when larger than recommended doses are used)
*Note that: effects of glutathione and other antioxidants are slower in alcohol and cigarette users. This is because antioxidants have more work to do and more oxidants to mop up before their effects start to be felt/seen.
To be on a safe side, its avoided in pregnancy and breastfeeding.
At Skin101, we advocate for healthy skincare, we give glutathione in an effective dose and in combination with other antioxidants to produce great results without overdosing. Our aim is to help our clients achieve clear and healthy skin.
Looking to give IV glutathione therapy a shot? Call us now on 09086000001