Stretch marks or Striae are very challenging to treat. People often search for how to get rid of stretch marks because of cosmetic concerns as stretch marks are harmless to the body.
What Causes Stretch Marks?
When a person’s skin stretches too quickly due to puberty, pregnancy, weight gain or bodybuilding, stretch marks occur. Stretch marks can also occur following long term use of some products or medicines containing steroids as steroids break down connective tissues in skin.
There are different types of stretch marks and they’re categorized by how long you’ve had them and their cause.
- Striae atrophica: These are very common stretch marks. The breakdown of elastin or collagen components in the skin causes this type.
- Striae distensae: occur most often during puberty. They typically involve linear lines that may look like stripes.
- Striae gravidarum: This is a type of striae distensae that only occurs during pregnancy.
How To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks – Treatments That Improve The Look of Stretch Marks
Unfortunately, no treatment has been shown to erase stretch marks completely. Many products promise to get rid of stretch marks completely but the truth is, stretch marks can only be improved on not erased completely. A lot of people who search for how to get rid of stretch marks on their own fall prey to such products while searching for quick DIY fixes.
Over time, stretch marks fade or blend in with the rest of the skin, making them less noticeable. This is often enhanced by the use of some products and procedures.
The level of improvement depends on the type of stretch marks and treatment options used. Striae Rubra (dark stretch marks) are easier to treat and faster to respond to treatment while Striae Alba (white/silver stretch marks take longer to treat and also respond to treatment slower.
- Carboxytherapy: A form of mesotherapy (read more here) that treats problem areas by injecting medical grade CO2 into these areas. During the procedure, small amounts of carbon dioxide gas are injected just below the surface of the skin to trick it into increasing the blood circulation to that area.
- Microneedling: A procedure that involves repeatedly puncturing the skin with tiny, sterile needles with the aim of stimulating the production of collagen.
- Radiofrequency microneedling: A microneedling procedure that utilizes insulated sterile microscopic needles to deliver heat energy to the dermis thereby stimulating collagen and tissue tightening precisely at predetermined depths.
- Laser treatment: Laser treatments target both superficial and deep skin discolouration. The laser creates an invisible beam of light that specifically targets the chromophores without having any effect on the surrounding skin.
- Topical Adjuvants: Intensive moisturization of the affected areas and the use of products containing vitamin C, fruit acids, retinoids and other pharmaceuticals have been advocated for the early treatment of dark stretch marks (striae rubra) and as adjuvants for other treatment options.
Brite & Lite Body Lotion (236ml)₦17,250.00 7.5% Vat Excluded.
Effective treatment options remain individualized. The choice of treatment is selected based on the type of stretch marks, duration and other factors that contribute to the appearance of stretch marks on skin such as pregnancy, use of steroids, puberty, etc.
*Click to see a before and after of stretch marks treatment of the abdomen.
At Skin101, we tailor our stretch marks treatment to every individual’s peculiar case. We prepare the skin after an in-depth consultation and examination and then use the above-mentioned treatment options or combinations of more than one of them to achieve maximum results.
If you look closely at the before and after photos in the post linked above, there was significant improvement just after 2 sessions of using a combination of our stretch marks treatment options. These combinations can be; the use of topical products plus a procedure or use of topical products plus two or more procedures.
Even though the treatment of stretch marks could be challenging, they can be significantly improved when the right treatment options are used. Instead of searching for how to get rid of stretch marks on your own and using multiple topical products that may worsen the stretch marks, seek professional help.
If you will like for us to take a look at your stretch marks and help treat them to improve their appearance, you can reach out by visiting the facility, booking an appointment online, calling us on phone, sending an email or a DM via any of our social media accounts.