When it comes to Keloid treatment in Nigeria, the best approach is usually combination treatments. Some people get good results with multiple sessions of monotherapy while others would require multiple sessions of combination treatments to achieve maximum results.
What Causes Keloid?
A keloid is caused by excess collagen in the skin during healing. This results in the formation of raised abnormal scar tissues on the site of an injury which do not reduce in size but subsequently grow beyond the original margins of the scar.
Keloids are difficult to treat because of the high chances of recurrence. They should not be confused with hypertrophic scars, which are also raised scars but do not grow beyond the boundaries of the original wound and may reduce in size over time even without treatment.
Keloid Treatment In Nigeria – Available Options
- Silicone Sheets and Silicon Gels/Creams: Research shows that about 30% of raised scars had some flattening after patients used silicone gel daily for up to six months. Some silicone gels/creams come with instructions to use twice daily while others may be used once daily.
- Intralesional Corticosteroid Injections: An intralesional injection is done by giving the content of the syringe directly into the lesion being treated. In keloid treatment, these injections usually contain corticosteroids. A commonly used one is Triamcinolone acetonide.
Corticosteroids help shrink keloids while alleviating accompanying symptoms such as itching and pain at the site of the keloids. About 50-80% of Keloids shrink after being injected. However, most of these keloids tend to regrow after a few years.
To improve results and reduce chances of regrowth, most good dermatologists in Nigeria and around the world often add another keloid treatment to the management plan.
- Keloid Surgery: This treatment involves surgically cutting out the keloid. While this is an available Keloid treatment in Nigeria and may seem like a permanent solution, nearly 100% of treated keloids return after this treatment. These keloids may return bigger than the removed ones as a result of the new injuries from the surgical incisions.
Some of the best dermatologists often treat patients with another keloid treatment to reduce the risk of a keloid returning after surgical removal.
- Radiotherapy: Radiation treatments have been demonstrated as one of the most effective methods of preventing recurrence of keloids especially when done after keloid surgery. Patients may begin radiation treatment immediately after keloid surgery, the next day or about a week later. Radiation may also be used alone to reduce the size of a keloid. However, results tend to be better when used after keloid surgery.
Although postoperative radiotherapy has been used to improve the outcome of keloid treatments by reducing recurrence, this method of keloid treatment in Nigeria and even in Africa is still difficult. This is because there are few Radiotherapy machines and some of those available are not the standard for the treatment of superficial lesions like keloids.
- Intralesional Cryotherapy (Cryosurgery): When it comes to keloid treatment in Nigeria, this is relatively new and also not available in all medical centers just like radiotherapy. It is a treatment that allows for focused destruction of a keloid scar tissue from the inside using liquid nitrogen with minimal damage to the surface of the skin,
Intralesional cryotherapy is a safe and highly efficacious technique recommended for both clinicians and patients looking to minimize the appearance of keloids and the associated symptoms.
Best Keloid Treatment in Nigeria
A lot of people search for the best keloid treatment in Nigeria or best keloid treatment in Abuja, Lagos, etc. The truth is, there is no one-size fits all best treatment for keloid. Every keloid is examined by a dermatologist and treatment options for the best outcome discussed with patients.
The best keloid treatment would be a set of treatments that combine more than one of the above-mentioned methods for maximum results. The decision of the particular methods to use is arrived at following consultation and proper assessment by a dermatologist.
Where To Get The Best Keloid Treatment in Abuja Nigeria
Although there are great dermatologists in Nigeria, at Skin101 Abuja, we pride ourselves in having one of the best dermatologists in Nigeria. A past winner of the international mentorship award of International Society of Dermatology whose areas of interest include cosmetic dermatology, medical dermatology and dermatopathology.
If you’re looking for a medical facility to get effective keloid treatment in Nigeria, we are your center. As a dermatology, Aesthetic medicine and plastic surgery center, we’ve got you covered! You can reach out by visiting the facility, calling us on phone, sending an email or a DM via any of our social media accounts.
Keloids may be difficult to treat, however, there’s a significant improvement when the right treatment options are used.