What Is Bakuchiol?
Bakuchiol (pronounced buh-KOO-chee-all) is a potent antioxidant found in the leaves and seeds of the Psoralea corylifolia plant said to have been used in Chinese and Indian restorative medicine for years.
How Does Bakuchiol Work?
It works through the same receptors that retinol uses, which is why many refer to it as a natural retinol alternative. Bakuchiol triggers the genetic pathway in skin cells to stimulate different types of collagen that are useful in skin health. However, it does not decrease the size of oil glands which means the side effects of retinol such as excessive dryness or irritation would not be experienced.
Also, unlike retinol which can make the skin more sensitive to the sun, bakuchiol could help to make skin less sensitive to the harmful sun rays. A study in The British Journal of Dermatology, confirms these benefits of bakuchiol over retinol.
Benefits Of Bakuchiol In Skincare
- Speeds up skin cell turnover: Bakuchiol helps increase collagen production and skin cell turnover.
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines: By helping to increase collagen production and skin cell turnover, bakuchiol helps to plump the skin thereby reducing the look of lines and wrinkles.
- Evens skin tone: Bakuchiol deeply penetrates the skin to help lessen the appearance of dark spots and other types of hyperpigmentation.
- Doesn’t cause dryness or irritation: Bakuchiol is more gentle on the skin than ingredients with similar effects and isn’t known to cause any irritation.
- Helps soothe and heal skin: By promoting skin cell turnover and cell regeneration, bakuchiol helps soothe and heal the skin from the inside out.
- Suitable for all skin types: anyone can use bakuchiol although, it’s still best to use with caution when testing a new ingredient especially if you have eczema-prone skin.
- Suitable for use at all times of the day: Bakuchiol can be used in the morning and at night.
Skincare Products That Contain Bakuchiol
Skintivity RESTORE Eventone Physical Sunscreen SPF50 With 2% Bakuchiol₦15,000.00 7.5% Vat Excluded.
Skintivity RESTORE Lotion For Face & Body₦32,000.00 – ₦50,000.00 7.5% Vat Excluded.
Skintivity RESTORE AM/PM with 5% Cysteamine Hydrochloride₦50,000.00 7.5% Vat Excluded.
Skintivity Bezelaic cream₦10,000.00 7.5% Vat Excluded.
Should you make the switch from your retinol to bakuchiol? It comes down to you and your skincare needs.